Apply for a visa
If you wish to visit Ireland for a period of less than 3 months, for example, on holidays, to pursue a short course of studies or for business meetings, then you can apply for a short stay ‘C’ visa for either a single entry or multiple entries.
Read our Short Stay Visas (less than 3 months) pages for more information on the different types of short stay visas and how to make an application.
If you wish to travel to Ireland on multiple occasions during the period of validity of your short stay visa you will find more information on the policy considerations that underpin our decision-making process on applications for multi-entry visas on our Single/Multi Entry Visas page.
If you wish to travel to Ireland for more than 3 months, for example to pursue a course of study, for work or to settle permanently in Ireland with family members who are already resident in Ireland, then you can apply for a long stay ‘D’ visa for a single entry. Read our Long Stay Visas (More than 3 months) pages for more information on the different types of long stay visas and how to make an application.
If you are a visa required national living in Ireland and wish to leave the State for a short period, for example, for a holiday, you can apply for a re-entry visa to facilitate your return to the State. Read more about the eligibility criteria for re-entry visas and how to make an application on our Re-Entry Visas page.
People from some countries are required to be in possession of a valid Irish transit visa when arriving at a port in the State for the purposes of passing through the port in order to travel to another state. For more information on how to apply for a transit visa and what supporting documentation is required read our Transit Visas page.
- Instructions for online visas
- Re-Entry Visas
- Short Stay Visas (less than 3 months)
- I have been granted a visa for Ireland
- If I get permission to work in Ireland can my spouse/children come with me/join me later?
- Apply for a visa – how to apply
- Exam Visa
- Family Members of EU/EEA /Swiss Citizens
- Join Ship
- Minister of Religion
- Long Stay Visas (More than 3 months)
- Business Visa
- Employment (Permits etc.)
- Single/Multi Entry Visas
- Information for Conference Organisers
- Employment (Atypical Working Scheme)
- Conference/Event Visa
- Visit (Family/Friends)
- Employment (Scientific Researcher)
- Join Family
- Marriage/Civil partnership Visa
- Visit Tourist
- Photograph Requirements
- Employment (Van der Elst)
- Lay Volunteer
- Transit Visas
- Medical Treatment