Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.

Immigration for students

(This page is currently being updated and revised student notices will be published in due course.)

International students are welcome in Ireland to pursue a course of studies. In general, non-EEA/EU and non-Swiss students who wish to study in Ireland long term, undertake courses in the English/Irish language or a degree programme. (Other types of student click here.)

This section of the INIS website explains the conditions for being in Ireland as a non-EEA/EU and non-Swiss student. In that regard the conditions of study you choose will depend on the level of the course that you want to study.

The guideline notes on this page provide detailed information on the different levels of study and will help you to choose the correct route for you.

Note: For students registered since before 1 January 2011, guideline notes are available to explain what the New Immigration Regime for Full Time non-EEA/EU and non-Swiss Students means to you.

Guidelines for Colleges

Whilst the above guidelines set out the rules for an individual student INIS has also put in place guidelines for colleges who are offering courses to full time non – EEA students.

Colleges are required to abide by the rules set out in these guidelines. Colleges should also be familiar with the rules set out for individual students. Students should also familiarise themselves with guidelines for colleges

Guidelines for Colleges (Size 1565KB)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 16 November 2017