Our services

The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) provides immigration, citizenship, asylum protection services and more. Read a longer description of INIS and what we do.


You may need a visa to travel to Ireland if you are a non-EU/EEA & non-Swiss national. Apply for a visa at least 3 months before you travel.

Immigration permission

You must apply for immigration permission if you are a non-EU/EEA & non-Swiss national and you want to stay in Ireland for any reason for longer than 90 days.

Register with immigration

If you are given permission to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days, you must register with immigration. Registration is how we record that you have permission to stay.


You may be eligible for Irish citizenship based on your birth, family history, length of time you have lived in Ireland or another reason, including marriage to an Irish citizen.


You can apply for asylum if you are in Ireland and you are unable to return to your home country because you fear persecution.







If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 9 September 2016

Tell us about any issues on this page