Entry to Ireland for non-EEA nationals

If you are a citizen of a non-EEA country, you must report to an Immigration Officer at Ireland's border before entering the country, eg at the airport, ferry port or other.

An Immigration Officer can usually be found in Passport Control.

Note: EEA (European Economic Area) is comprised of the 28 Member States of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

What you will need

You must be able to give the Immigration Officer any documents necessary to explain your visit. It is your responsibility to ensure you have everything with you.

At a minimum this includes your passport, visa (if necessary) and landing card (if appropriate). It may also include a travel itinerary, invitations or letters that help explain your visit.

If you are allowed to enter

If you are allowed to enter, you can be given permission to stay in Ireland for a maximum of 3 months.

In some circumstances, you may be given less than 3 months. This depends on the reasons or documentation you give to the Immigration Officer.

If you are not allowed to enter

If you are not allowed to enter, you will usually have to leave Ireland immediately without crossing the border.

Stay for longer than 3 months

If you are a citizen of a non-EEA country and wish to stay in Ireland for longer than 3 months, you must apply for Permission to Remain.

Permission to Remain states the conditions by which you can remain in Ireland and the duration of your permission.

» Apply for Permission to Remain in Ireland

Further information

If you have questions, contact us.