Register to stay with your child in Ireland

To stay in Ireland with your child (who is an Irish citizen born in Ireland) for longer than 90 days, you must apply for immigration permission.

If your application is successful, you will then be sent a letter with information about your permission including how to register with immigration.

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

Immigration permission

Apply for permission to remain for non-EEA parents of Irish citizens

'Permission to remain for non-EEA parents of Irish citizens' is an immigration status that allows you to stay with your child in Ireland.

Read a longer description of this permission and how to apply.

You should also read the European Court of Justice judgment in the Zambrano case to find out if it is relevant to your application.

Applications normally take 6 months to process.

Successful application

If your application for immigration permission is successful, you will be sent a letter that includes information about the permission granted to you and what to do next.

This includes how to register with immigration.

If you applied but have not received a response or a letter, contact Residence Division (Unit 4) for an update.

Immigration registration

You must visit a registration office in person to register your details.

If you don't register, you may have to leave the country.

Consult your letter for detailed information about how to register or read a summary of the registration process.

Help & information

Residence Division (Unit 4)
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70


Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 18 December 2017

Page history

18 December 2017

Descriptions updated to reflect change from 'GNIB card' to Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

5 September 2016

Page published.