Register to join your family member or partner

To join your family member (who is a non-EU/EEA and non-Swiss citizen) in Ireland for longer than 90 days, you must first apply for immigration permission.

If your application is successful, you will then be sent a letter with information about your permission including how to register with immigration.

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

Immigration permission

Apply based on policy document on non-EEA family reunification

The 'Policy document on non-EEA family reunification' explains how your application to stay in Ireland may be decided.

To learn more, download and read the Policy document on non-EEA family reunification (PDF).

Successful application

If your application for immigration permission is successful, you will be sent a letter that includes information about the permission granted to you and what to do next.

This includes how to register with immigration.

If you applied but have not received a response or a letter, contact Residence Division Unit 5 for an update.

Immigration registration

Before travelling to Ireland, check if you need a visa.

If you are granted permission to enter Ireland, an immigration officer at border control will stamp your passport and then add a date to the stamp.

You must visit a registration office in person before this date to:

  • Extend your immigration permission, ie for longer than 90 days
  • Register your details

If you don't register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Consult your letter for detailed information about how to register or read a summary of the registration process.

Help & information

Unit 5 - Domestic Residence and Permissions Division
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
PO Box 12695



Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated:26 February 2019

Page history

26 February 2019

Address changed for "Help and information" from Unit 2 to Unit 5.

18 December 2017

Descriptions updated to reflect change from 'GNIB card' to Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

5 September 2016

Page published.