Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


Registration policy & guidance

Registration system

Registration system & how it works

Registration is how we record that you have been given permission to stay in Ireland. It also helps us to monitor and manage migration into Ireland.

How to make a registration appointment in Dublin

You must book an appointment online to register or renew at Burgh Quay Registration Office in Dublin City. Do not go to the office without an appointment as you cannot be seen.

What happens when you visit a registration office

You must visit a registration office in order to register. During your visit an immigration officer will examine your documents and record your personal details, eg your fingerprints and photo.

Fees, payment methods & exemptions

You will be issued with a registration certificate called an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) whenever you register or renew. An IRP costs €300 per person each time.

Irish Residence Permit (IRP) (replacement for 'GNIB card')

About the Irish Residence Permit (IRP)

You will be given an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) when your register with immigration.

Undelivered IRP or IRP missing in the post (Dublin only)

Contact us if your IRP does not arrive by post after 10 days.

Lost or stolen IRP or GNIB card

What to do if your IRP or GNIB card is lost or stolen.

Change your registration details

Update your address, fix an error (eg misspelled name) or change other information on your IRP.

Stamps & conditions

Stamps, permissions & conditions

If you are given permission to remain in Ireland, an immigration officer will place a stamp in your passport, eg Stamp 1, 2, 2A, etc. Each stamp comes with conditions.

Reference numbers used by INIS

Application Reference Numbers & Person Identity Numbers

A Person Identity Number is created for you when you first make an application to INIS. An Application Reference Number is created everytime you submit a new application.

EU, EEA & single market

Countries in EU, EEA & single market

Countries in the EU and EEA are part of a single market that allows free movement for citizens. Switzerland has an agreement that extends the single market to include it.


Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 8 December 2016