Renew Stamp 4 based on living with an Irish citizen child

To stay in Ireland with your Irish citizen child, you must apply in person at a registration office before your current permission and registration expires.

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

Check your expiry date

The expiry date for your current immigration permission and registration is shown in your passport and on your registration certificate, ie Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card.

To apply for a renewal, you must visit a registration office within the 2 week period before expiry.

If you do not renew in time, future applications could be affected by gaps in your immigration record. In some circumstances, you may have to leave the country.


Prepare to renew

When you were first granted permission to stay in Ireland, you were sent a letter with detailed information about your permission and related conditions.

The letter also contained information about how to renew, including documents and other evidence you need. If you have lost your original letter, contact Residence Division (Unit 4).

Your application will be considered with reference to Permission to remain for non-EEA parents of an Irish citizen.

Read a longer description of the renewal process and what happens next.

Help & information

Residence Division (Unit 4)
Irish Born Child Unit
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
PO Box 10003
Dublin 2
D02 XK70


Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 8 December 2017

Page history

8 December 2017

Descriptions updated to reflect change from 'GNIB card' to Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

5 September 2016

Page published.