You need a visa for Ireland

You need a Training Visa to come to Ireland to attend a training course.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to visit Ireland for training for less than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for a Training Visa

You must apply for a short stay Training Visa. All short stay visas are also called 'C' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, visa, proof you have enrolled on a course and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

During your stay in Ireland

Examples of activities you are permitted to do during your visit

You can attend a training course for work or professional development for up to 90 days.

The training course must be on a 'company-to-company' basis. Your attendance must be arranged (and/or paid for) by a company you work for or an organisation you belong to.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a Multiple Entry visa (explained below).

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and return to Ireland during your stay, you can request a Multiple Entry visa when you apply.

Multiple Entry visas are approved in limited circumstances only, if justified by your application.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg proof you have registered for the training course.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Training Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page