Apply for a re-entry visa

You need a re-entry visa if you have permission to remain in Ireland for longer than 90 days and if you travel using a passport issued by a visa required country or a travel document issued by certain countries.

Adult re-entry visa (aged 16 or older)

If you are from a visa required country and wish to travel from Ireland, and return before 13 May 2019, you will need to apply for a re-entry visa. If you do not have a valid visa to travel to Ireland before 13 May 2019, you will be refused travel by your airline/ferry company. You will need to attend the INIS re-entry visa office in Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, and your application will be processed during your appointment. You must make an appointment on-line in advance.

If you are from a visa required country and have a valid IRP card, GNIB card, you will not need a re-entry visa to return to Ireland on or after 13 May 2019. You will be able to show your passport and IRP, GNIB card to prove to airlines and immigration officials that you have a right to travel to Ireland.

Minors who are under 16 are not generally issued with IRP or GNIB cards. To ensure that minors with visa required nationality can re-enter the State without difficulty, their parents or guardians can apply for a re-entry visa for them. Re-entry visas for minors will be issued without charge. [link to application form minors re-entry visas]

Child re-entry visa (aged 15 or less)

A child's application must be made by their parent or legal guardian. To apply, select the child's age:

Aged 5 to 15

Aged 4 or less

Emergency re-entry visa

You may be eligible for an emergency visa in exceptional circumstances, eg family death or serious illness.

Apply for an emergency visa



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 25 September 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page