Alan Shatter TD
Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence
Alan Shatter was re-elected to Dail Eireann in February 2011 having represented Dublin South Constituency in the Dail since 2007 and previously from 1981 until 2002. He was appointed Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence by An Taoiseach Enda Kenny on 9th March 2011.
He was educated at High School, Rathgar, and Trinity College Dublin where he obtained a law degree. He subsequently attended Europa Instituut of the University of Amsterdam where he studied European Law, Politics and Economics. As a student, he was Director of the Crumlin Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC) and later became Chairman of FLAC. He subsequently became Chairman of CARE (Campaign for Deprived Children).
Alan Shatter practiced as a family lawyer in Dublin and is the author of "Family Law in the Republic of Ireland" now in it’s 4 edition and the best-selling novel "Laura" (1989).
As a TD representing Dublin South Constituency he has held various positions on the Fine Gael Front Bench including Spokesperson on Justice and Law Reform, Health, Labour, Defence and Children. He has served on the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Foreign Affairs and on the Joint Oireachtas Committee on the Constitutional Amendment on Children from 2007 until that Committee completed it’s work in February 2010.
Before his appointment in March 2011 as Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter, as a Fine Gael TD and an advocate of radical legal, social and environmental reform, published a wide range of Bills including:
- 29th Amendment of the Constitution Bill 2009 (published on 19th Nov 09)
- Ministers and Secretaries (Ministers of State) Bill 2009
- Victims Rights Bill 2002
- Victims Rights Bill 2008
- Tobacco (Health Promotion and Protection) Bill 1999
- Genetic Fingerprinting Bill 1988
- Community Service Orders Bill 1981
- Registration of Births Bill 2000
- Protection of Persons Reporting Child Abuse Act 1998
- Adoption Act 1991
- Judicial Separation & Family Law Act, 1989
- Adoption Bill 1987
- Environment Protection Agency Bill 1989
- Protection of Refugees Bill 1993
- Landlord & Tenant (Amendment) Act 1993
- Statute of Limitation (Amendment) Bill 1999
- Courts Bill 2000
- Tribunals of Inquiry (Amendment) Bill 2001
- Prohibition of Ticket Touts Bill 1999